PLANTS for a BUTTERFLY GARDEN
Butterfly friendly gardens will include these important elements -
- a source of nectar - choose a good selection of plants that will bloom through out the spring, summer and fall (we have a brief list below!)
- food plants for caterpillars - MILKWEED, herbs and vegetables (dill, parsley, parsnip, carrots and more), trees can include willow, oak, aspen.
- lots of sunshine - bring it on.
- shelter from the wind - a few structure plants that act as a wind block are great.
- and water - a bird bath with a few stones can be attractive.
Here's a brief list of some of the best plants to include in your butterfly garden.
- milk weed - asclepia tuberosa, asclepia incarnata and wild milkweed
- achillea (yarrow - lots of pretty newer cultivars that don't take over are available
- buddleia (Butterfly Bush)
- Goldenrod (some compact and tidy hybrids if you really don't like the wild stuff
- more to come.....